Written by Kate
When we have family parties with my husband’s side of the family I’m usually in charge of dessert. I’m the baker in the family, so I’m happy to make dessert. Baking is stress relief for me.
My father in law had been craving pineapple upside down cake for a few weeks, so I decided to make one for Father’s Day
I had seen a picture of a pineapple upside down bundt cake on Pinterest, but I couldn’t find a recipe. So, I decided to expirement based on the picture. It turned out better than I had expected!
Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 can pineapple rings in 100% juice (reserve the juice)
1 jar maraschino cherries
1 box pineapple cake mix
1 4-serving box instant vanilla pudding
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare the bundt pan by generously applying pan release (special cooking spray with flour added to it – I love it)or non-stick spray.
3. Melt the butter and evenly pour into the bottom of the pan.
4. Sprinkle with the brown sugar.
5. Cut the pineapple rings in half and alternate with the maraschino cherries around the bundt pan as shown in the picture. Set aside.
6. In a stand mixer or large bowl, stir the cake mix and pudding mix together.
7. Pour the pineapple juice that you had saved into a measuring cup, and add enough milk to make 1 cup of liquid. Add this with the eggs and the amount of oil called for in the recipe to the cake mixture; following the instructions on the box.
8. Carefully pour the batter over the fruit.
9. Place the bundt pan on a baking sheet and bake as instructed for a bundt cake on the cake mix box. The cake is done when an inserted knife comes out clean.
10. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Slide a knife around the edges including the inner ring.
Invert the cake onto a serving plate.
12. Slice between the pineapple rings and serve warm or room temperature.